Release Notes 7.7.0
New Hippo CMS 7.7 Release
23 December 2011
It is with great pleasure and pride that we announce the availability of
Hippo CMS version 7.7. This release is a major milestone for Hippo because now
configuration and preview of channels (website, mobile, etc) is integrated into
the CMS. In the past, the CMS editing interface and the target site were two
almost disconnected worlds. In 7.7 they live together in a single, unified
interface. So end-users get best of both worlds; the architectural separation
between presentation and content but visually integrated. This makes the system
much easier to comprehend and use for end-users.
As with previous releases we are rolling out 7.7 in two phases. This time we make it more explicit and introduce names for the phases. The first phase is called ‘First Customer Shipment’ (FCS), which means that over the coming months we will upgrade our internal systems to 7.7 and work closely with specific customers to upgrade to 7.7. When this is completed we will announce General Availability (GA) together with the online versions and installers of GoGreen on the Hippo website. We recommend waiting until the release has been made GA before going into production. We expect that this will take around two months. GA will be fully backward compatible with FCS.
If you’re starting a new project we encourage you to develop using 7.7 right away. We are still in the process of creating the upgrade documentation. For customers with a Hippo Enterprise Subscription (HES) we will be making an upgrade tool available soon.
So now, back to the fun stuff, what is new in version 7.7. Here are the major new features:
- Multi Channel manager including adding new channels (language, mobile, subsite, iPhone, etc.)
- Template composer integrated into the CMS
- Extensible Reporting dashboard
- Broken links checker and report
- Google Analytics integration
- Safe password rules
- Several improvements in CMS, HST, Console and GoGreen
- View tab shows all available channels for the document and opens the preview in CMS
- HST enhanced linkrewriting for corporate site combined with subsites using only parts of the content
With Hippo CMS 7.7 the Template Composer and site preview are an integrated part of the CMS. Where a user previously previewed the website and worked with the template composer in the context of the website, it’s now available by default in the CMS. A new perspective - the channel manager perspective - displays all available site channels.
The Channel Manager makes it a snap to create a new channel. It is literally one dialog with a couple of fields that you need to specify. From the Channel Manager overview you can use the template composer to change your pages. For some pieces you still need to use the HST Configuration editor, nowadays called ‘URL and Navigation Management’. We are in the process of migrating all this functionality into the Template Composer.
The configuration of the channel is controlled by blueprints that can be provided by developers. These can include prototype content for easy subsite creation. The template composer has been made more robust and faster for daily usage. It now also allows publishing of configuration changes from preview to live. Also, the template composer does not need HST configuration any more.
Hippo CMS 7.7 now comes with an extensible reporting dashboard based on Ext-JS. The broken link checker report is integrated into this dashboard. Note that you need to configure it to get it running, see documentation section for more information. Contact Hippo if you are interested in other reports.
We added support for tracking site statistics using Google Analytics in the form of an add-on. Per document you can view the number of hits across channels. You can configure the time interval and period.
Last, you can specify the rules that passwords entered by users need to satisfy. In the documentation section there is a link to the configuration that lists all the several options.
- fine-grained model invalidation for channel manager & template composer: performance and memory improvements (instant reloading 1000+ channels)
- improved link rewriting capabilities
- integrated preview in cms without preview configuration needed & SSO
- configuration has been simplified by using more conventions and auto-creation of e.g. template composer mounts
- performance of the CMS has been improved, the browser now caches more
- the blue bar has been removed in favor of more screen real estate for document editors and site previews
- keyboard support in dialogs, for example the escape-key cancels the dialog, enter confirms the dialog
- the plugin API has now been more clearly defined by consolidating all relevant classes into one artifact
- now more resilient when large numbers of events are generated, e.g. by a running importer
- Context menu when right-clicking on nodes
- New “generate new translation ids” action in the context menu
- Option in copy dialog to generate new translation ids
- Better auto-complete behavior in add node and add property dialogs
- Default set up with Channel Manager and smaller HST configuration
- Sample blueprint and sample channelinfo interface
- Improved auto-export compatibility
- Default implemented search
- Improved default users: siteuser and sitewriter
- Various JSP and Java code improvements
- Chinese, Spanish and Russian language added
- personalisation added
- New components that are made template composer aware: banner carousel, product navigation, html, featured product
- blueprints (with and without content) for channel manager
- Broken links report
- Channel Manager
- Google Analytics integration
- Password safety validation and password expiration
- View a document in a channel
To try out the new functionality of Hippo CMS 7.7 using the maven archetype see instructions on the Hippo Trail
You can also check out and run the Hippo Go Green demo:
- svn co http://svn.onehippo.org/repos/hippo/hippo-demos/hippo-go-green/tags/hippogogreen-3.05.00
- cd hippogogreen-3.05.00
- mvn install
- mvn -P cargo.run
- open the cms and site in a browser at http://localhost:8080/cms and http://localhost:8080/site, respectively.
Hippo Certified Stack
Hippo CMS 7.7 works with Java 6 and Tomcat 6 and 7.
Hippo CMS still supports Maven 2, however we prefer Maven 3. Maven 2 support will gradually be phased out.
For an overview of the community stack see System Requirements.
Supported browsers for the CMS
With the stream of new browser versions coming up it is hard to keep pace. We decided that we will support the latest versions of the major browsers, i.e. Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari. This means that we no longer support Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.6.
The table below lists an overview of the browser versions when we started our regression tests
8 and 9
*) Chrome 16 has no known regressions, but hasn’t been verified completely
Upgrade and Backward Compatibility
The steps to upgrade from CMS 7.6 to CMS 7.7 are described here.
For customers with a Hippo Enterprise Subscription (HES) we have tooling to upgrade configuration in the repository automatically.
The Hippo CMS team