Hippo CMS has a pluggable architecture and many additional features are available as plugins. Hippo provides three levels of support for plugins:
- Hippo certified, available from Hippo's feature library.
- Hippo certified, available from the Hippo Forge.
- Community maintained, available from the Hippo Forge.
A "Hippo certified plugin" meets Hippo quality standards, is properly documented, and is tested against each new Hippo CMS release and updated if necessary.
Further alignment and integration of the Certified Plugins, promoted to Standard Plugins in Hippo 10.0
The upcoming Hippo 10.0 release will bring some notable changes regarding the Certified Plugins:
- The development and support for the Certified Plugins will be further aligned with Hippo CMS and the setup application, and these plugins will be promoted to Standard Plugins.
- As Standard Plugins they will be regarded as integral but optional part of the Hippo product and thus receive the same level of support and quality assurance.
- To be able to provide and support this alignment and integration, the development of the Standard Plugins will be moved to and continued in the Hippo open source SVN.
- The Documentation for the Standard Plugins also will be moved and integrated in the community website at www.onehippo.org.
- The code, documentation and maintenance of the Certified Plugins for Hippo 7.9 and earlier will remain at the Hippo Forge.
- Although the Maven coordinates (groupId, artifiactId) of the Standard Plugins will be changed to reflect these changes, there will be no code or configuration changes as result of this move.
In addition to these upcoming changes, we already promoted the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as Certified Plugin as of the latest Hippo 7.9.5 release, and also will be a Standard Plugin for Hippo 7.10.
The Tag Cloud Management Plugin will not be promoted to Standard Plugin and therefore become non-certified and community supported only through the Hippo Forge as of Hippo 7.10.
Finally, the Selections plugin will be further promoted as default plugin: it will be configured by default for new projects through the Maven archetype, like the Gallery Picker and the Resource Bundle Editor plugins.
Hippo Certified Plugins in the Hippo Setup application/Feature Library
Hippo's setup application provides a library of out-of-the-box features that can be added to your project with a single mouse click. All features in the library are Hippo certified. Some are based on Certified Plugins hosted at the Hippo Forge, those are linked to their respective Forge projects in the list below.
- Content Blocks
- Dashboard Document Wizard
- Gallery Manager
- Related Documents
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Simple Content
Hippo Certified Plugins at Hippo Forge
At this moment there are three certified plugin hosted at the Hippo Forge that are not available from the Hippo setup application/feature library:
- Tag Cloud Management Plugin (as of Hippo 7.10 this plugin no longer will be certified but remains available as community plugin at the Hippo Forge)
- Gallery Picker
- Resource Bundle Editor
Community Plugins at Hippo Forge
Community plugins are maintained by the Hippo community. It is up to the community to make sure the plugins meet quality standards, are properly documented, and are tested against each new Hippo CMS release.
The following community plugins are frequently used in Hippo CMS projects: